Big News! I have a new book coming out in June but it is already up on Amazon for pre-orders, just click the picture in the sidebar or visit Amazon here.
Last weekend I went to a local coffee/gift shop here in Gallatin, TN, and handed out a Lakeside Retreat-inspired recipe for Gingerbread Cake. Seriously, the recipe is so good, I already made another cast iron skillet of the yummy cake. Actually, we also ate it for breakfast it was irresistible.
But the key to this cake’s “Over The Top”, or should I say, “Over the Tree-top!” success is the small drizzle of homemade salted caramel sauce. The buttery goodness just brings the magic and definitely sets the tone for pulling out your favorite sweater or oversized flannel shirt.
The nice thing about this recipe? It is perfect for drizzling over your favorite desserts this festive season as well as a great addition this summer for a homemade ice cream topping or drizzle across whipped cream in a cup of steaming hot cocoa while stargazing at the cabin.
This Salted Caramel Sauce is so easy to make, I find myself drizzling it on much more than the gingerbread cake. Apple slices. Oatmeal. Greek Yogurt, I am planning to include this with my pumpkin bread pudding.
Need a quick and easy homemade gift? I am thinking about buying cute glass jars and making up a huge batch to give out as “sweet” Christmas gifts.
So here it is..the RECIPE! Enjoy!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, heated in microwave to warm
- 3 Tablespoons butter, room temp.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, stir together sugar, corn syrup, and water.
- Over medium heat, stir continually until sugar syrup is bubbling. Stop stirring and allow mixture to turn to deep amber color or reach 350 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- immediately remove from heat and SLOWLY pour hot cream into syrup. Use a whisk until smooth. Add in butter, and salt.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Store in airtight container.
These recipes were inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction.