I woke up to the sounds of rain hitting the window. I thought it was supposed to be spring. After all, I had just replanted the front flowerbed
with fresh flowers from assorted six packs and had watered them so they would take root, and now..this!
A downpour that rated beyond “Spring Shower” status.
One loud enough to wake me out of a deep sleep. I guess you could say that it caught me off guard because I wasn’t expecting a change from the lovely warm days we had been experiencing.
May 1st is traditionally a day to celebrate flowers and spring; it also marks another day that deserves to be celebrated more than once during the calendar year…If you guessed National Chocolate Parfait Day, you are a winner!
While the ever-changing weather here in Middle Tennessee might be subject to change, being able to whip eggs, sugar, cream, and cocoa together and know that you are on the right track to something spoon-licking fantastic is something you can count on.
So don’t wait until next May 1 to break out this recipe. Apron up and grab your wisk! Every day should be chocolate parfait day!
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- OPTIONAL: Oreos or chocolate cookies
- MAKE THE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE:
- Whisk egg yolks, granulated sugar, and salt in heat proof bowl.
- Bring 1 cup heavy cream to a simmer in a medium saucepan, then lower heat.
- TEMPER EGG YOLKS:
- Whisking the egg yolk mixture, slowly pour about 1/3 cup of hot cream into egg mixture. Continue whisking until completely combined.
- Slowly pour and whisk egg/cream mix into the remaining heavy cream in saucepan. Continue to whisk. Cook mixture about 5 minutes longer until it begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Melt chocolate chips in a glass bowl in the microwave. Melt for 30 second increments until melted and smooth with stirred. Be careful to not burn. Add into egg mixture until well blended and smooth. Set aside.
- Whip remaining cream with powdered sugar until soft peaks.
- Add 2 cups whipped cream to chocolate mixture.
- OH MY WORD!!! Life is short~ go ahead and lick the spoon!
- In a parfait cup, small mason jar, glass, an old tea cup...whatever your heart desires..go ahead and put in a layer of chocolate mousse. Add a layer of crushed cookies. Add a layer of whipped cream. Add a layer of chocolate mousse.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream and top with a few fresh raspberries and a cookie.