February is National Snack Month!
Didn’t I just make a resolution to cut back on my calorie intake?
But, here we are, a little under six weeks from when resolutions were dusted off, and now I stumble onto the fact that there is a whole month dedicated to SNACKs.
Thankfully I have been switching up our snacks for healthier options that include homemade hummus, roasted spicey chickpeas, and these yummy cocoa balls that are the perfect afternoon treat.
And the best part is that they are flour-free, dairy-free, and full of flavor!
Even my husband, John, who is a bit spoiled by my homemade cookies, enjoys these little flavor-packed morsels.
So thought I would share this easy-to-make -no-bake -treat. Yep, you heard me right; I said NO BAKE!
Snack on, sister, snack on!
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates.. about 15-18
- 1 1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes... OK so I checked both bags and the sweetened coconut is the same calories and is not as dry as the unsweetened . Plus, the unsweetened was more expensive so I make mine with sweetened shredded coconut. Your snack. Your choice :~D
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp or a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder. I love the added smoky kick of chipotle chili powder. It adds a bit of heat to these yummy energy balls.
- Extra shredded coconut or cocoa powder to roll balls in for a finished look.
- Add dates, almonds, cocoa powder, and coconut to food processor.
- Pulse until chopped, then add remaining ingredients.
- Process until it becomes a course mixture that sticks together when pinched between your fingers.
- Put a clump about the size of a walnut in the palm of your hand and roll into a ball.
- Coat in the extra coconut or sprinkle with cocoa.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze. Seriously, ours have never made it past a week :~D